Teapot shaped like a house

Tenants Contents Insurance

Being a tenant, and renting in general, comes with many benefits, including security of tenure, fixed rent costs and less financial responsibilities – in terms of maintenance, repair and decoration work of the property. But we know this doesn’t mean you care about your home any less – it’s still yours after all. Your belongings are yours, and no-one should ever have the right to take that away from you. That’s why it can feel like a part of you is missing when you come home to find the place has been burgled, or an unexpected natural hazard has damaged everything. You shouldn’t have to bear the cost. Tenants Contents Insurance from Avail Mortgages can help – covering those important items such as your laptop, television, clothes and jewellery and providing compensation for them.


With access to leading insurers including AXA, LV and Zurich, and a ‘No Claims Discount’ available, our contents insurance for tenants will keep your personal belongings protected. To learn more and to find your insurance quote, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us today. We provide help for clients across the UK including areas such as Leeds, Huddersfield, Bradford, York and Harrogate, so we know that we can help you too.


What Is Tenants Contents Insurance?

When it comes to Tenants Insurance (also known as ‘Renters Insurance’), there are two types: Tenancy Liability and Tenants Contents Insurance. Whereas Tenancy Liability covers accidental damage to your landlord’s contents and items they provide for their tenants to use (eg if the home is furnished – the sofa, oven and hob), Tenants Contents Insurance covers a tenant’s personal possessions in case of fire, theft, accidental damage or other insured risks. Personal possessions covered can include items such as:

  • Clothes and jewellery.
  • Collectors items.
  • Soft furnishings, such as bedding and cushions.
  • Electrical equipment, such as TVs, Blu-ray players, games consoles, speakers and stereos.
  • Any personal furnishings in the property – for example, your own sofa, oven and hob.

If you have expensive items such as phones, laptops, jewellery, watches or collectors items, you must have these items detailed in your insurance policy. This involves adding up all the contents and insuring it all under one amount, or separately pricing, declaring and insuring your possessions for the most suitable cover. Sometimes, proof of ownership is required, as well as a professional valuation, and this is where we can help and advise you through the appropriate process, depending on your needs.

Extensions can usually be added to a Tenants Contents Insurance policy, such as:

  • Accidental Damage Cover: This can cover the costs of repairing or replacing your own belongings if they’re accidentally damaged.
  • Personal Possessions Cover: This covers items you take with you outside the home such as your smartphone, jewellery, purse or handbag.

You may be thinking, ‘Do I need tenants’ contents insurance?’ Ultimately, this is down to you, but it’s important to remember that your landlord has no obligation to insure your belongings for you. Consider this: You wouldn’t insure your landlord’s building, in the same way, they wouldn’t insure their tenant’s contents.

Character thinking

Tenants Insurance vs Contents Insurance

Insurance brokers regularly get asked what the differences are between Tenants Insurance and Contents Insurance. Tenants Contents Insurance protects your contents from damage or theft by someone you don’t live with while renting in a shared home or flat. Similarly, Student Tenant Insurance protects your personal belongings while you’re living in a shared house, flat or university halls. Tenants Insurance, however, or more specifically, Tenants Liability, offers tenants protection against common situations that might lead to them losing their security deposit, such as accidental damage to a landlord’s fixtures, fittings or furniture.

By taking out home contents insurance for tenants, you can ensure that if your belongings are stolen or damaged whilst you’re renting a property, you won’t have to worry about covering the costs. For example, if there’s a fire in the house or flat you live in, the property’s flood, or someone breaks in and steals your belongings, our insurance brokers can help you receive compensation for this, so that life can get back to normal as soon as possible.

Why Choose Avail Mortgages?

cartoon rent application
Suitable Insurance Policies

We don’t make you pay for a policy that is costly and unnecessary. We only recommend Tenants Contents Insurance policies that will help you should the unexpected happen, ensuring that you are covered, protected and secure.

cartoon computer chat bot

We value client communication, as well as customer service, and you can reach us via phone, email and WhatsApp. Our insurance team can match how you’d like to be contacted, so that the contents insurance for tenants process is smooth and simple.

cartoon house in a speech bubble

From our dedicated client portal to our insurance calculator, technology advances our services, and plays a key role in our success. Speeding up the policy process, we can determine the tenants contents insurance for you, as well as creating a place for you to keep all of your policy documents for ease.

two cartoon men talking at a table
Insurance Support

Get In Touch

For a stress-free approach to Tenants Contents Insurance that puts your insurance needs at the forefront, please contact our insurance brokers at Avail Mortgages today. We aid clients across the UK including areas such as Leeds, York, Bradford, Sheffield, Harrogate and Huddersfield and will always make the policy process a smooth one.